[BEHAVIOR] EasyIsometric - for creating an "isometric" perspective with 2D assets

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hi there!

We introduce the EasyIsometric behavior, which helps you with creating an “isometric” perspective with 2D assets by making an impression of third dimension (sometimes called “2,5D”).

In result it’s a great solution for many games like:

• RPG,
    • shooters,
    • building simulators,
    • hack’n’slash,
    • survivial,

and more.

For more info about EasyIsometric, check Construct Asset Store.

If you have some questions join our Discord server

Check out an introduction video that briefly explains how it works:

• Here is the live preview of the addon:

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • Hi, I'd like to buy it but I have a few questions.

Is it possible to set instances to "Static" via events?

Is it possible to sort instances not every tick, but every X seconds for better optimization?

• Oddly enough you can do that without any behaviors...

• It looks like this would only work for completely flat games

• Hi, I'd like to buy it but I have a few questions.

Is it possible to set instances to "Static" via events?

Is it possible to sort instances not every tick, but every X seconds for better optimization?

Hi Simple Games :-)

I am from the ForConstruct.com team and I’d like to answer your questions.

So about the type (static or dynamic) - yes, this can be switched with events.

Regarding the sorting other way than every tick - to be honest, I don't think this is really necessary. The whole idea of the EasyIsometric addon is to optimize Z sorting ;-) The behavior changes the Z order only for the objects that changed their Y position in relation to other objects.

For static objects it never changes (unless forced with Refresh action). Only the dynamic ones change their Z position and only if needed.

However, if you reaaaalllyyy want to do it the way you described (so for example you want to "sort" the objects every X seconds, instead of every tick), then theoretically you can set every object as Static and use Refresh action every X seconds for desired objects.

I haven't tested such a solution, so it's hard to say what would be the result. It depends on the case. But if you use Refresh action on a huge amount of objects, then the result could be opposite to what you want to achieve, because this means you would immediately change Z order for all of the indicated objects in just one tick. Dynamic type doesn’t mean that the object is moved in Z order on every thick, but Y position is being verified.

Generally speaking, it depends on the case, but honestly, dynamic objects will work much better. Unless you want to have like 2000 dynamic objects with several behaviors, that constantly and rapidly change their Y position.

If you still have doubts and would like to discuss a little bit more detailed example, I’m ready to help :-)

Best regards

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It looks like this would only work for completely flat games

Hi eleanorjmorel,

Could you elaborate what do you mean by "completely flat games"?

The addon deals with Y sorting, which is crucial for achieving "isometric" view with 2D graphics, but big part of the final result are graphics used. There is absolutely no problem putting strictly isometric assets. Just a matter on how you combine them together + proper use of other staff like native Solid behavior.

• > It looks like this would only work for completely flat games

Hi eleanorjmorel,

Could you elaborate what do you mean by "completely flat games"?

The addon deals with Y sorting, which is crucial for achieving "isometric" view with 2D graphics, but big part of the final result are graphics used. There is absolutely no problem putting strictly isometric assets. Just a matter on how you combine them together + proper use of other staff like native Solid behavior.

strawberrypunch.com

• strawberrypunch.com

Thanks for reply :-) Your project looks interesting and I think I get your point now ;-)

Having such "floors" would definitely need extra coding anyway, but I'm pretty sure this is achievable. My first idea is to "group" the elements according to the floors and respectively enable and disable the behavior when the player jump on/off the other floor. But I would need to consult it with the rest of the team to be entirely sure, as maybe I'm missing something.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)