How to create a mechanical octopus ? (game enemy)

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
2d Octopus Enmy and charcter Monster game asset Best for enemy or villain game characters
  • What do you think is the best (or simplest) way to make a mechanical octopus?

What I imagined is a boss at the end of my level of the space shooter game.

The octopus has a tentacle that moves towards and away from the spaceship and the player must dodge it and attack the boss.

But I would like it to be realistic and nice to look at.

Do you have any advice?

• Liberador Yeah, hierarchy is the way to go, great demo.

Here is something similar I made

howtoconstructdemos.com/starfish

• dop2000 Thanks. By the way, your starfish is funny.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Really, the Hierarchy feature is fantastic.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • What do you think is the best (or simplest) way to make a mechanical octopus?

What I imagined is a boss at the end of my level of the space shooter game.

The octopus has a tentacle that moves towards and away from the spaceship and the player must dodge it and attack the boss.

But I would like it to be realistic and nice to look at.

Do you have any advice?

your example is perfect and nice to look at.

I can't figure out how to make the tentacles variable, i.e. I don't want each tentacle to make the exact same movement.

and each tentacle piece must have a slightly different angle from the previous piece.

Your example is well done because I notice that when the octopus pulls up its tentacles and they curl they are not exactly the same as each other. the first tentacle is more closed than the second.

In short, everything must be very random and not static while maintaining specific attack and movement functions.

In your example each piece of tentacle has its own angle, but when the octopus raises its tentacles both do so, so they have the same function in the same period.

I'm studying to understand how to make the octopus raise one tentacle at random and the others stay down.

Furthermore, the tentacle taken at random must head towards the spaceship then if you manage to move it must come back.

Up until now I have analyzed the hierarchy as a simple feature, I could do the same by putting a function like this:

- every 0.01 seconds "octopuspiece(2)" set position to "octopuspiece(1)" image point1.

But I guess I still haven't understood all the hierarchy features and become familiar with them.

However looking at your example and having read the answers I'm sure I have to use hierarchy feature.

Maybe I'll ask you again for advice on hierarchy.

Thank you.

• Hierarchy is really useful for tentacles because it syncs both position and angle down the chain. If you rotate the top part of the tentacle 5 degrees, the middle part 3 degrees and the bottom part 1 degree, the bottom part will actually rotate 5+3+1=9 degrees. And all three parts will stay connected.

You can use Sine or Tween to randomize their movement.

• Hire a designer to make the octopus and its tentacles separate, then animate it in a program with a bone system

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)