Chronoweaver's Loop

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
SynthWave Loop Pack includes 68 seamless loops, founded on 11 original melodies.
  • Hey everyone! My name is Rob and I’m going to use this space to keep a devlog of my work on Chronoweaver’s Loop.

Wait who even are you?

I've worked in the game industry for 7+ years and currently I work as a Producer on Subnautica 2.

I've been a solo dev for 9+ years and have primarily worked in C2 publishing my first game to Steam in 2017 called A Small Robot Story. I actually kept a dev log here on the forums for that game which you can read here. I've engine hopped for the past few years and here I am, back with Construct.

Ok cool, but what's the deal with this Pico-8 looking game?

Chronoweaver's Loop is a short game where you relive the same 2 minutes trying to solve the puzzles of a crumbling tower in order to unlock the mystery of your dying mentor.

If you want to play the demo of the game, you can play it here. This was created back in 2020 with Construct 2 and is pretty rough. I set it down for a while, tried porting it to both GDevelop and Godot, but eventually found myself giving in to the yearly-fee to come back to C3.

Alright Rob, what are working on now?

So I came back to Construct 3 and imported my C2 demo last week. From there I had to scope out the remaining work since I had been so focused on porting to other engines. I timeboxed two weeks to overhaul the dialogue system I had built (by built I mean didn't exist). Using the JSON examples from Scirra, I spent the last week getting a rough dialogue system in place that does the following:

• Calls dialogue lines from external JSON
    • Calls portraits from external JSON
    • Dynamic typewriter speed based on sentence length
    • Skip text option
    • Count lines in the JSON array and correctly end dialogue

All of the functionality is in place and I have a week left in the timebox to make it look pretty and refactor a bit. I'll check back in then!

• Welcome back!

Sweet promo image.

• Welcome back!

Sweet promo image.

Thanks! Feels good to be back in familiar territory.

• Refactored the block falling system. Stored all positions in an array for easy editing. Also added a squash and stretch landing.

Up next is tweening the "moving block in to hole" instead of a pop-in animation. Also need to add some dust particles when "on land" and "fill hole" happens.

• More work this week! Alright so:

• Redid falling block art
    • Tweened block to a lower position on collision with hole
    • Speed up + added more frames to the fill animation
    • Added dust particles
    • Made falling shadow transparent

Open to feedback. Especially on those particles. I haven't done a ton of work with particles so it feels "ok". For particle speed, I was trying to get a fast attack with slow decay.

• Stubbed in the first tutorial. Need to make 3 in total and then do an art pass.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Tutorial pass is wrapped. Moving on to populating all 4 floors of the game. So nice just adding content to the systems and they just work.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)