How do I properly import frames from strip?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • Hey! :D

In my game, I have up until recently done my animations by exporting individual png images from my image editing program and importing them into Construct. Needless to say the whole thing is a more time-consuming process than it could be, so I tried making a spritesheet so I could import images using the "import frames from strip" feature.

But when I do, the sprites seem incorrectly separated. You get most of the first sprite in frame one, and then you also get a cut-off foot from frame two in there as well. And that pattern continues through the whole animation. The frames kind of bleed into each other, as if the program doesn't know when each cell is supposed to begin and end. (How does it know, anyways?)

It's supposed to just... work, according to the internet. But the manual doesn't say what to do if it doesn't just work. I've tried changing the number of cells, I've tried making the gaps between each frame the same amount of pixels, tried cropping the image... All to effect, seemingly.

Oh, and the sprites are also rather large if that has any effect. Around 240x240 pixels. So not pixel art exactly.

I'm still relatively new to Construct, so I don't know what I'm doing a lot of the time. And if I'm lucky I am but a fool and this is a simple problem to solve. But I'm surprised I can't readily find the answer to it anywhere on the internet. It seems like an issue that would be common.

Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

- CC

• You can select the number of sprites per row and the dimensions when you import. If it's still wrong then that means the image itself is offset and you have to fix it at the artist stage.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the response.

Changing the number of cells doesn't work, so the dimensions might be it in that case. How do I select the dimensions? The dimensions chosen in the animation editor seem to change automatically when I import from strip.

Also, forgive me if it's a stupid question, but when you say the image itself may be offset, what exactly do you mean?

• I'm no artist but I think the strip needs to be exact dimensions so for example if your character animation is frames of 32 width and there are 4 frames then the strip needs to be width of 128 so it can be chopped correctly. If it looks offset then it means there is blank space or the frames are incorrect size.

• Ah, I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier!

When I imported my animation, the frames weren't of a standardized size. I just kinda put the drawings side by side, and as such they take up different amounts of space as they move (a stretched out leg will obviously take up more space than a tucked in one, for instance.)

Obviously the program doesn't have a way to differentiate between what is and what is not an individual frame when they all have different dimensions. I'm glad to know that I was but a fool, and that it indeed was an easy problem to solve.

I guess I'll have to create a kind of standardized lattice to draw my animations in so that I keep the dimensions of each frame the same when exported as a strip... Either way, the problem is diagnosed and solved.

Many thanks, sincerely!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)