Mario & Luigi-style platforming?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A pack of 76 platform designs for a platformer game with a mushroom/jungle theme
  • Hello there. I've been messing around in Construct 3 for the past few days, and honestly this is a lot of fun to work, but I've also been a little stumped.

What would be the best way to do a simple 2D platforming system from an oblique perspective? Think Mario & Luigi.

Since you can jump on top of moving in all four directions (due to the top down perspective), I would assume adding jumping and falling into holes, and such, would require Z-Level stuff, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks!

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi do you have any examples?

• Yeah, here it is!

drive.google.com/file/d/1sxmw4b_rOeUNF_ljzf5LW6u03_w45THJ/view

I got a semblance of beginning for it to work, but it's very rough. Hopefully it helps people figure out what I'm trying to do, haha.

I'm dreading doing floating platforms.

• I meant do you have any examples of what you're talking about because it doesn't sound like you're referring to a generic platformer like Mario?

• They are referring to the Mario & Luigi games as said in the title, it's a top-down plateforming game mixed with RPG elements, which has its own series in the Mario franchise : youtube.com/watch

• Oops, yeah, sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, the Mario & Luigi series is basically what I want to do.

• I can see you mentioned Mario & Luigi in the title. Again we'll need to know what mechanic you're referring to. This looks like an RPG but you are talking about platformer mechanics, where?

• It's a bit of a combo of both. It's all 2D and uses Oblique projection.

OP. It's completely doable, it's mainly the art style, collision polygon management, and Z-sorting that are the crux.

Look at some of the RPG and Platformer examples to get the hang of movement etc. The jumping on top and falling down holes is simple Y axis movement but using Z sorting of objects to occlude or reveal and give the illusion of depth.

This might help with the Z-Sorting: construct.net/en/courses/making-order-system-19

• lionz: The mechanics I'm trying to replicate are the overworld platforming mechanics.

Outside of combat, you can walk around and jump on things in this fake 3D perspective, so that's what i'm trying to do.

calminthenight: Thanks for the link! Yeah, glancing over the tutorial, those are the type of things I had in mind, just. Done correctly, haha. Thanks, I'll give it a shot and report back.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)