What would happen?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Hi all, just had a thought the other day and wanted to know what would happen.

I know that construct 3 runs as a subscription model and we are tied to an internet connection to continue using construct (annoying when I'm very remote) but what if (god forbid) something happened to either the servers that we check in with when opening construct or Ash and the team/scirra?

Would that be it? 3 years of my life out the window?

I suppose I'd still have all the graphics but the code would be gone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't construct 2, unity, unreal, Godot etc all still work as stand alone and would carry on working?

Thanks

• Yup. You'll lose everything. Including your memories and experience or any profit or enjoyment or finished application you got out of the product during the time you used it. Might as well stop now, with no idea when they'll shut it down.

C3 can work offline btw. Just gotta check in every once in a while. I think it was 2 weeks?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah I suppose if you're just a hobbyist mucking around it doesn't really matter but when you're investing time and money in a project (hopefully for future income) then it becomes a bit more of a worry hey.

• Indeed, 3 years spent learning a programming language of your choice would probably be more than enough to serve you better in the long run.

• You can also save to a Cloud storage service. I save my projects on Google Drive. This way, I am always protected from losing my projects when a hard drive fails. Also, make a second backup in case your working copy gets corrupted.

You can also work offline; however, to continue working, you need to log in every week (correct me when I am wrong).

I understand your concern, especially with long-term projects. I am sure Scirra backs up its servers regularly, so I think we are safe even when a server fails. If the whole team disappears from Earth (which is very unlikely), it depends on Scirra's precautions to guarantee their service.

The C3 project format is a zip file. You can check this by changing the extension of your project to .zip. Then, open that .zip file, and you will see all your files.

You can also take precautions in case a disaster strikes. Write important sections of your game in Javascript code (methods/functions). Store the game's resources on a cloud service, as mentioned above. Document your game in detail.

I think we are quite safe when following what I wrote above. However, I am not a Scirra employee, so I can be wrong. Only Scirra can answer your concerns, so maybe it is a good idea to contact their support team and ask. Scirra is easy to access and they respond mostly within 24 hours.

I hope this helps.

Bad_Wolf

(not so bad once you know him)

• HI,

I think You are right to be concerned about relying on an internet connection for Construct 3. If the servers or the company were to shut down access to Construct 3 could indeed be affected potentially leaving you unable to open your projects. Construct 2 Unity Unreal and Godot on the other hand are standalone applications that do not require an active internet connection to use so they would continue to work offline. It might be a good idea to regularly back up your project files and consider exporting your work in formats compatible with other engines as a precaution.

Thanks

• Any organisation you rely on for game development could potentially fail and leave you in a difficult position. However I would put it to you that there are a few big commercial tools out there that are either losing loads of money, or have such generous payment terms that they probably are losing loads of money. These businesses can't keep that up forever and so potentially face a major business risk, and in turn a risk to the work of everyone who uses that tool. By charging a subscription I hope it's obvious to outsiders that we have a sustainable business model that we can continue indefinitely. Open source is a different model, but in the commercial world, developing software is expensive - and if it's not obvious how they fund that, I would say there is actually a much bigger risk that a loss-making commercial tool is ultimately shut down.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)