Is my game consuming too much RAM?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • I'm making my first release on Steam, and the demo is already available to download and play, but I decided to test it on a new notebook that I bought, and I found it strange that the game was using 1G RAM..

My question is if this is right, if there is something I can fix, I would like to know if there is a tool or way to analyze what I could fix, I have already reduced the game images to the maximum and this has reduced the statistics a lot, but I believe it is something in the code, I am saving the game every 1 second, before it was every tick, could it be the save?

My concern is because I believe that this type of game should not consume so much RAM, maybe it is normal and it is a silly concern, I would like a second opinion.

I appreciate any opinion and help, if any QA expert wants to analyze and point out the error, the name of the game is The King Cat Clicker https://store.steampowered.com/app/3121620/The_King_Cat_Clicker/, I appreciate any help, thank you.

• 1gb isn't too bad, one way to reassure yourself is steam stats, which says most people have 16gb of ram, really small amount of folks with less than 2gb or 4gb.

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Judging from your game, you have lots of images for customisation. If all the images, let's say the cats fur, is all in 1 sprite, then there's not much you can do to lower RAM usage, as once 1 sprite is loaded, it loads all of its animations into memory.

But if each customisable sprite is a separate sprite, then you can use the System > Memory actions to unload sprite images when not in use.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 1gb isn't too bad, one way to reassure yourself is steam stats, which says most people have 16gb of ram, really small amount of folks with less than 2gb or 4gb.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Judging from your game, you have lots of images for customisation. If all the images, let's say the cats fur, is all in 1 sprite, then there's not much you can do to lower RAM usage, as once 1 sprite is loaded, it loads all of its animations into memory.

But if each customisable sprite is a separate sprite, then you can use the System > Memory actions to unload sprite images when not in use.

Thanks for the reply Jase,

I use all the "skins" in the same sprite, in this case when changing the "skin" it changes the animation that is running, a question, since they would be static images, I kept the speed 5 in each one, would that make any difference? I didn't find any way to make it work without being animation, because as I said it would be one image per animation.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

I would also like to thank you for the suggestion to unload memory, I will research how it works, thank you.

• One way is to use families, like a family of your fur sprites, then you are able to manage what is loaded and what isn't, however this might be some effort to change your project over to this, replacing your "set animation" events with creating the fur sprite and such - is it worth it? Maybe, but I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're at 1gb.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)