Which family object pick option uses less memory?

1 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A collection of various zombie characters sprites for creating a 2D platformer or sidescroller game
  • Hello,

In the case of picking family objects using an instance variable only, which option consumes less memory: Through System->Pick by comparison or through Family->Compare instance variable?

• Neither will use memory, just cpu.

You can test it yourself, create a bunch of instances, put both events in a seperate group and then check in the debugger. (though I assume they both will perform the same)

• Good idea, thanks. I'll check through the debugger.

• I'd be curious if you see any measurable difference!

• The "pick by comparison" conditions do more work than the equivalent built-in conditions, so the second case is probably faster, but in general questions like this are a waste of time.

• Many thanks for the clarification. Then I will go in that direction.

On the current project I have few hundreds of active objects at one time and I am now optimizing wherever possible.

• If you're running into performance issues with just a few hundred objects, you might have some other problems.

construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/performance-tips

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the article.

Basically, the three things I try to optimize are: Physics objects, Mesh distortion and For each loops. All this works fantastically when there is an optimal number of objects, and when there are a lot of them, then there are minor problems in cpu and gpu %, but it's all solvable.

Now my plan is to reduce the number of physical objects, divide the objects with mesh distortion into groups that will never work at the same time, and to rewiew each part of the project, and all the above instructions, how I can improve the for each loops.

For example, in the case of a large number of physics objects, the real-time management of stepping iterations, if the algorithm of the project allows it, can reduce cpu up to about 10%.

• I'm always looking to using the most effecient events. Whilst my project works perfect on a high-end desktop computer, I want to cater to low-end computers too. My project can end up with hundreds of a specific object existing at one time, so I like to be as efficient as possible, just to get that little extra performance for anyone with a weaker device.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)