Doubt regarding "unlimited frame" ( something like that )

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Selection frame like in RTS games, works both on mobile and desktop devices.
  • Hi Ashley

I have read in a thread regarding something like "unlimited frame mode" (something like that) which according to some boosts performance. I have two doubts regarding it:-

1.) how does it really works? If it is based on CPU/GPU overclocking then it looks cool. In fact does it "really" improves performance?

Actually because I am working on a project which is quite lagging in my mobile (there are no issues with driver or the game engine. Issue is that my mobile is less powerful and I am demanding too much from it)

2.) Will it work for html exports (or only andoid/ios is supported)

Thanks

• It does not boost performance. Normally frames are scheduled once per display refresh. There's no point generating frames faster than the display hardware updates - they won't be seen, and it just wastes power.

Unlimited framerate mode instead schedules frames as fast as possible. It's for performance testing. However since it uses loads of power generating frames that will never be seen, it will needlessly drain the battery on laptops and mobiles, so you should never publish an actual game using that mode.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

• It does not boost performance. Normally frames are scheduled once per display refresh. There's no point generating frames faster than the display hardware updates - they won't be seen, and it just wastes power.

Unlimited framerate mode instead schedules frames as fast as possible. It's for performance testing. However since it uses loads of power generating frames that will never be seen, it will needlessly drain the battery on laptops and mobiles, so you should never publish an actual game using that mode.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

Thanks for the answer

You didn't answered the second part:- will it work for html exports ? Actually html exports because text to speech does not work on Android

• I think he did answer it. You should never publish your game with that setting, that includes HTML exports.

Unlimited frame setting is for testing purpose only.

• You can try it yourself. It works everywhere. But as I said, you shouldn't export projects using it, unless it's for performance testing.

• I think he did answer it. You should never publish your game with that setting, that includes HTML exports.

Unlimited frame setting is for testing purpose only.

I know that. The project which I am working on is not intended to be publishing(special case). I have to run it on my mobile,so I want the absolute best performance which I can squeeze out of my mobile (I will charge it later on)

I could have experimented myself but I am little bit lazy

• Small doubt again

Here there are 3 options,v synced, unlimited ticks only and unlimited full frames

Is it mentioned anywhere in the documentation?

Thanks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes, it's documented in Project properties.

• Will variable framerate options ever be an option for PC?

My other game had a couple of negative Steam reviews by users who complained that it didn't offer 144hz support (this was a GameMaker game) by locking to 60fps.

It's pretty annoying, but that's PC enthusiasts for you.

*edit*

Actually I just read the manual and it says that Construct automatically aims to match the hardware display, which I take it means that 144 hz and above are supported.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)