ANR rate up for anyone else on Android?

0 favourites
  • Since the end of the August my ANR rate on Google Play went up from around 0% to 3-4% which is way above "Bad behaviour threshold" and will affect game's visibility on the store. I didn't make any significant changes to the game.

The ANR is "Native method - android.os.MessageQueue.nativePollOnce". From what I understand, it's likely linked to ads, and I only use the official Mobile Advert plugin. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Tagged:

• fredriksthlm It's mostly just people writing "same issue". But I wonder if other people noticed this specifically with Construct 3, because in my case it started only about a month ago.

The potentially useful piece of information I found through your link was this:

After examining our code carefully we noticed that this anr is caused mainly when by mistake the app tries to show a dialog but the call is not from the main thread.

But I don't see how I could apply this information in my case.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Oh, that's an important issue for me too.

I released the update on September 15th and got a high error rate.

I have analytics and a lot of ad networks. I'm trying to find the reason now.

So far no result.

• The error is in the android os queue functionality, where messages are queed to be processed. As you can see a lot of people have this issue, it is very hard to investigate where it comes from. I believe it might come from Admob libraries in your case.

If you use android studio you might test the Optimized ad loading, which is in Beta.

otherwise there is not much to do..

• As you see on the issuetracker the error is reported from hundreds av users, also on the unity forum and Admob forum people discuss the same.

There is some settings google have in beta mode for admob that might reduce this (I do not have this issue an longer since I started with that). But you need to amend your manifest in android studio.

I guess you can read about the ANR issues in the admob forum

• fredriksthlm So you also had this issue before applying Optimized ad loading? Thanks for the information, I'll try this later :)

• Test both OPTIMIZE_INITIALIZATION and OPTIMIZE_AD_LOADING. (You must use Mobile Ads SDK v21+)

• Was there an update for Mobile Advert plugin in the last couple of months? Official plugins don't have "Version History". I didn't change logics for ads (or anything else that could involve MessageQueue) but ANR rate went up significantly.

• Ashley Hi, did you guys update Mobile Advert plugin in the last couple of months? Official plugins don't have "Version History". I didn't change logics for ads (or anything else that could involve MessageQueue) but ANR rate went up significantly. I'm not sure if I should file the issue on github since it will likely be marked "unable to reproduce" anyway. Maybe you could apply this potential fix?

This can only be hanlded by the cordova plugin, not by the C3 plugin.

And yes, they bumped the version of the cordova plugin since the older one used a GMA sdk which was not compliant to Android12.

Did you try set those in your manifest?

• This can only be hanlded by the cordova plugin, not by the C3 plugin.

Ok, I see

Did you try set those in your manifest?

Yes, I'll see if it fixes the issue when update is live.

• igortyhon I noticed that at the same time as my ANR rate started to rise - Slow cold start went up as well. It went from about 8% to almost 100%. Do you see the same correlation? (you can go to Android vitals - overview - loading, to check).

It was also the same update where I switched from Stable r302 to Beta r307 which changed target API level to 31 and changed the way the Splash screen works.

• Hello. I checked. You were right. Cold start increased at the same time.

I posted an update compiled on version r308 and this horror began.

Now I'm back to version r302 again and I'm building it myself through Cordova and setting the target version of sdk 31.

Errors have decreased.

• Hello. I checked. You were right. Cold start increased at the same time.

I posted an update compiled on version r308 and this horror began.

Now I'm back to version r302 again and I'm building it myself through Cordova and setting the target version of sdk 31.

Errors have decreased.

thanks for the post

• igortyhon Дякую :) I filed an issue on C3 github, so hopefully it will be fixed. Meanwhile I'll go back to r302 as well.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)