How do I make an interactive gamebook, without creating multiple layouts or extensive code?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
5 levels with simple coding Source-code (.c3p) + HTML5 Exported
  • I'm trying to make a interactive gamebook like "Oldschool gamebook generator by Delacannon" (but not with the random I.A generation but including some minigames and variables storage, like money, life, story choices...). But I can't imagine doing the roam between the rooms without making hundreds of clickble objects/event lines.

like: On touched object - set text to "paragraph describing the room"

create object choice 1

create objet choice 2

on touched object - set text to "paragraph describing the room"

create object choice 3

create object choice 4

and so on, as you can see, in 2 rooms 4 objects are in my project, I think is going to end a huge mess. Is there any tip, template or plugin to help make this game simpler?

I saw other topics about this and they say is an easy thing to make a text gamebook in construct 2, other that I have to use html5 and other complicate things. Where should I start?

example of the gamebook:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Generally speaking, you would store all the data in a text format of your choice (recommend json), with all the relevant information needed to generate and display the choices.

You need to decide what that is going to look like. For example, for each room you would need at least the room number, description, and a list of choices.

Then for your layout, you would look up the room number in your data file, and display the information there. Create as many choices options as there are choices (they're all the same object), and set an instance variable from the data that determines what happens when you click that object (for example the target room number). Each choice might have a description as well. Json is flexible, but it's up to you to decide what data is relevant.

• Here's an simple example, you can check mrcgkh answer.

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/how-do-i-8/timeline-interactive-story-153884

---

You can make multiple CSV sheet to store different data.

- Room sheet: contains the 'object IDs' that may appear in the room.

- Obect sheet: contains the 'event IDs' or interactive for each object ID

- Event sheet: contains possible triggering events.

• Wow, I think didn't get it already, but thanks for the replies! Maybe I can say I'm still new to construct? But certainly new to programming

I'll try to study about arrays and JSON. Maybe later I can understand your answers.

Have you guys any tutorial suggestion about this?

• I made this a while ago.

Don't know if it helps.

https://www.construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/your-construct-creations-9/simple-cyoa-game-engine-170255#forumPost1070998

Thanks pal! but unfortunately the first 3 links are down and the fourth got an error "Failed to open project. Check it is a valid Construct 3 single-file (.c3p) project."

• Strange, i just downloaded the file using the link and it worked fine.

Its a folder, so look inside and there should be 3 files, 1 instructions, 1 tutorial and 1 engine.

• Sorry man, the last link works, It's just I did not extracted the files.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)