How do I get my app icons to work properly?

1 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
_______ Huge collection of metal fixtures ________
  • I'm in the process of launching my Android game... but during closed testing the app icon isn't functioning correctly.

I understand the 'icons' folder, and have added icons at all the various sizes suggested (using the same files just changing the image).

When I test the app, I have a circular app button on my Android phone, but with a square app icon within it (and white padding filling in the rest of the unused circle).

I've looked into the documentation and into adaptive icons and am a bit lost... there doesn't seem to be any documentation as to how to add all icon sizes/shapes in C3?

Any help would be much appreciated as i'm so close to launching!

• Okay so I make 2 images at 108x108 (then select as adaptive foreground and adaptive background) with the safe-zone at 72x72.

Do I delete the rest of the app icons and just have those two files in there? Will it auto-detect these over the rest of them?

My icon really is a 'full-icon' with a bg and logo in the center... does that matter or do I need to delete the bg and just have the logo?

Thanks again

• Okay to further my point... 108dp isn't the same as 108x108px.

Does anyone have a guide as to how to make appropriate sized icons in something like photoshop?

I can't believe this is the hardest part of making the entire game lol

What is everyone else doing/using?

• adaptive icons are used on Android 8.0+

if you target any Android version below that you should also include a legacy icon.

• Does anyone have a guide as to how to make appropriate sized icons in something like photoshop?

There is a photoshop template included in the link I posted.. And very detailed description on the actual icons.

• Thank you for replying.. but that doesn't really help me as i'm stuck with the actual process...

What icons sizes should I include, and how do I implement them?

I've used Android Icon Kitchen to make a series of images in different sizes:

108, 162, 216, 324 & 432. These come as foreground and background images.

I've added them all to the icons folder and assigned 'adaptive foreground' and 'adaptive background' accordingly.

What size do I need for the splash loader (which is currently zoomed in and blurry).

I can't quite believe there isn't a better tutorial showing the steps rather than just 'use adaptive icons' statements?

Thanks again.

• Hey everyone, including Tim_A, I've come across the exact same problem. I'm absolutely lost about what "adaptive" means between Construct and Google Play and how to create it. I've been spending 1.5 days trying to figure it out, building test APKs, checking it on different Android systems, etc. I don't understand how to create a normal square icon that will crop properly if the icon is square.

All I'm getting is the icon being squished into small square image, which is now inside round white icon, which eventually look weird and not what is intended.

Can anyone help? Also, that 108x108 dp size is weird. How do I create it? I mostly use Photoshop, and I have an Adobe Cloud subscription.

Thanks.

• I tried something different: no other icons option beside Adaptive.

I uploaded every Adaptive foreground and Adaptive background in various sizes, such as 432x432 and so on, to the Construct project and set the foreground and background purpose accordingly.

However, even after uploading the app to the Play Store, the icon doesn't work as Adaptive. Device Android 11:

Should be this F+B combined:

What am I doing wrong? I am Completely lost.

• This is a known bug in v12.0.

It is already fixed but not released, will be released in 12.0.1

github.com/apache/cordova-android/issues/1616

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for replying.

Since Tim_A started this topic 10 months ago, exporting the project with Construct to Android still results in the icon being squished in the center and looking unappealing.

Google Play has mentioned that they no longer support icons with transparent backgrounds. So, if I use a filled icon, it still gets squished, not to mention the problems with Adaptive icons.

Have the icon problems persisted for 10 months already? That's nearly a year of subscription. I understand that there are more serious mechanics to fix and implement, but the app's face, I found it important. When I go into production, it looks bad.

Could you provide some insight on this matter, Ashley?

• You have misunderstood it. Tim_A did not have any issue really, he just did not know how adaptive icons worked. Back then this (newly introduced) bug did not exist. It was introduced in v12 of android cordova, just recently.

If you use cordova locally on your computer you can use the nightly build, where this issue is fixed. but it is not released in a stable yet. or build with android studio on your own.

You can probably adjust the config.xml file before building to get it to work as well, see the link I posted. But then you need to export as cordova, adjust, then import for just building, if you use the build service.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)