Performance and memory limitation for sprites

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • In debug tests I see that I am using 1056MB of memory. It's probably because of a large amount of sprites. Any recommendations on how to reduce memory usage? Except for deleting sprites and sprite animations.

Edit: What's the limit of memory for browsers today for HTML5 games (I did not find an unequivocal answer). Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Memory usage is purely frameCount * frameResolution * rgba

So to use less memory you got to reduce either the frame count or the resolution.

It's best to render your image source files at the lowest resolution possible, find that sweat spot between details and size.

Basically C3 loads images by layout, all object on that layout are loaded into memory (all animations and all frames).

So if you have animations/frames that you're not using in a specific layout, it will be best to split those into different objects.

Of course memory usage is also audio files and movie files, you'll need to identify where the bottleneck is.

• If you issue is RAM usage, then the only tip is to reduce the resolution.

• It's an old blog post but the composition technique described in Remember not to waste your memory is still relevant.

What's the limit of memory for browsers today for HTML5 games (I did not find an unequivocal answer).

There is no limit other than what the hardware can handle.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)