Moving away from Cordova?

1 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a code so you can see the same skin on all screens (peers). Each peer gets a skin, in addition to 4 directions t
  • I think it‘s well established that Construct 3 games don‘t run that well on android and iOS. Partially, this is because the System Webview for android suffers from performance issues, such as a frame scheduling bug.

I feel like it might be worth it to transition away from Cordova in the long run. I don’t think performance would be a lot better on a new platform, but significantly so with more modern APIs, less plugin related bugs (have experienced so many loading bugs, memory leaks etc. coming from Cordova plugins) and overall a smoother experience.

An option that I found to be interesting is Capacitor, which is backwards compatible with Cordova, has full PWA support if needed and uses far more up-to-date APIs in many areas. It‘s also open source and well maintained.

Regarding TWAs that don‘t use the System WebView at all, I‘ve discovered that Google has released a billing API that might be worth taking a look at. Trusted Web Activities are significantly more performant than Webview Apps at the moment and it could be an interesting option to add to the Construct Export window.

My hopes are still up that Google will update the Webview to be on par with the Chrome browser and fix the jitter issue. Moreover, I sincerely hope that WebGPU will become useable for Construct games in the near future, as it‘s basically non-functional (iOS) or extremely sluggish (Android) as of now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Great suggestion!

It definitely got worse at least from the iOS side. Every iOS update there are several issues. And also they dont even replay the bugs as you found out in your last bug report about the canvas shift down that we reported long ago. This led me to postpone the iOS release for quite some time till it's fixed. It becomes very unreliable.

Another idea if they dont want to get away from Cordova, is why not support one more platform from the ones that you pointed out so we can test it and then if it works better then you can always remove the Cordova platform in the future. This at least will give a few alternatives.

Scirra always say resources are tight so not sure if this ever gonna happen.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)