Issues with C2 & C3 game exported on Linux

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • Anyone uses Linux?

I'm starting to transitioning to Linux, so by this chance I have an opportunity also to test Linux export from C2 and C3, thing that I wasn't able to do earlier.

I did try to export with C2 and C3 the Vertical Shooter Template. Now, with the C2 I have no problem, it runs smoothly in Linux, unless I maximise the window, in that case the view is messed up as for screenshot. Not sure if changing screen setting on the project I might solve the problem, is an issue with Firefox on my Linux distribution or is the export itself having problems.

With C3 export instead, the game window opens and closes straight away. I can't even see any image before it closes. If I try to right click the file and run it in console, the result is the same, but I have a long list of logs about the crash that I don't know how to read. I can copy and paste it, if needed, but it's quite long and seems sort of repeating itself.

This is just the beginning of the console log error:

[8579:8579:0816/123632.706808:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(576)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd6: org.freedesktop

.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

[8579:8579:0816/123632.706834:ERROR:kwallet_dbus.cc(112)] Error contacting kwalletd6 (isEnabled)

[8579:8579:0816/123632.706983:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(576)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KLauncher.start_service_by_desktop_name: object_path= /KLauncher: o

rg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files

[8579:8579:0816/123632.706986:ERROR:kwallet_dbus.cc(81)] Error contacting klauncher to start kwalletd6

[8579:8579:0816/123632.771963:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(576)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.close: object_path= /modules/kwalletd6: org.freedesktop.DBu

s.Error.NoReply: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

[8579:8579:0816/123632.771976:ERROR:kwallet_dbus.cc(502)] Error contacting kwalletd6 (close)

[0816/123632.785725:ERROR:elf_dynamic_array_reader.h(64)] tag not found

[0816/123632.785762:ERROR:elf_dynamic_array_reader.h(64)] tag not found

[8610:8610:0816/123632.946977:FATAL:resource_bundle.cc(363)] Check failed: g_shared_instance_ != nullptr.

Anyone has an idea about what should I do to run the program on Linux? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but it's my first time using aside few interactions with the Raspberry PI where I did really not much with it.

Thanks!

• What's the exact pi you are using? Are you able to open C3 and preview projects, but only the exports are not working? Which export do you use (html, nwjs)?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Jase00 I am not using a PI, I am using a Tuxedo laptop with the following specs:

Operating System: TUXEDO OS 3

KDE Plasma Version: 6.1.3

KDE Frameworks Version: 6.4.0

Qt Version: 6.7.0

Kernel Version: 6.5.0-10043-tuxedo (64-bit)

Graphics Platform: X11

Processors: 24 × Intel® Core™ i7-14650HX

Memory: 67.1 GB of RAM

Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2

About C3 editor, actually I didn't tried yet, I saw that it was opening and I didn't check more. At the moment I can't login on my account with the editor, however I have no problem here on the forum.

Sample projects are loaded on C3, but the preview doesn't work.

The C2 and C3 exports (NW.js) that I have tried to run have been created with my Windows laptop, then the exported files copy and pasted on Linux and the result are the ones on my post.

About the PI, I am not using, I just mentioned it as that was my only little previous experience with Linux. Don't worry about this info, it's not relevant to the issue I'm having, sorry for the confusion and thank you for the reply :-)

EDIT:

I can now login inside the editor and run the preview.

The issue with the exports are still the same.

• Unfortunately Linux systems often have poor graphics drivers, which is often the main cause of crashes and glitches. If you are exporting with NW.js, my advice is to export with 'Ignore GPU blacklist' unchecked - since if it's checked it will try to run even on graphics drivers that are known to be broken; if unchecked it will switch to slower software rendering when the driver is known to be broken, which doesn't use the GPU, but should at least work correctly. Alternatively you can try updating the graphics drivers or try using different drivers if some are available, but I should warn you I once bricked a Linux system trying to update the graphics drivers, so good luck...

• Thank you Ashley for the reply.

I did try to uncheck 'Ignore GPU blacklist', but it didn't work, so I tried one by one to uncheck other things, use PNG and JPG and so on. In the end I got the idea. C2 export works, so something new that is on C3 doesn't work.

So, I checked the latest C2 version of NW.js and it's the v0.54.0 (Chromium 91) [Requires C2 r217+] dated 27th May 2021. I then exported C3 with all options as default, including checked 'Ignore GPU blacklist' and the exported Vertical Shooter Template worked without problem. On the contrary of C2 export, I can even resize the window without problems!

Now, the only thing left is to try to export from the second latest version and going backward to 0.54.0 until I find a working NW.js.

The question left is now this. Is an issue that goes case by case with Linux depending on the individual computer and distro, or is the issue related to C3 in how it interacts with NW.js regarding to Linux?

By the way, I am totally new with Linux, so I will try to avoid solutions that might lock me out of the system :-P

• Ashley I did a bunch of export with all different NW.js until I find the breaking point. With NW.js version 0.84.0 (Chromium 121) the export works fine, from version 0.85.0 (Chromium 122) the export doesn't work anymore.

I know that the Linux players are not so many and developers using C3 are probably just a bunch of people, but if you would like to give it a quick look maybe we are lucky enough to solve the problem with latest NW.js versions.

By the way, I have also noticed that the export has a favicon and taskbar icon with C2 icon and not C3, this because the template has still the old C2 icons in the project. Not sure if you care about updating those or leave it as nice memory of the past.

• I'd suggest reporting it directly to the NW.js team. A specific NW.js version breaking it, while it works in the Chrome browser, is potentially evidence the problem is in NW.js itself, in which case there's nothing much we could do about it ourselves.

It may still conclude as being a graphics driver bug. It's entirely possible that the graphics drivers have always been broken, and a Chromium engine update tweaked some graphics code that is in fact written correctly, but then started to run in to a graphics driver bug on your system. (Figuring out who's at fault in this situation is tricky - people often assume it's definitely NW.js' fault in a situation like this, but it's not definite, it could still be a broken graphics driver, and I would say that's pretty likely given the general quality of Linux graphics drivers.)

• Thank you Ashley, I have found a similar issue reported on May, this year, so for now I add my comment there instead of opening a new post.

In case you or anyone else want to follow up the topic, it's here:

https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/8184#issuecomment-2308648756

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)