Is C3 still a good choice for my games course?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Setup and ready for your art, animations and story. Viral Storybook App Template.
  • I am a college professor who occasionally teaches a game development class to liberal arts students. Construct 3 (and C2) have been great tools which make it possible for students to learn basic coding concepts while creating their own games. at the end of the semester, I encourage them to branch out and learn other coding languages and tool kits to supplement the work that they are doing with Construct 3.

It has been two years since I last used the tool, and I am starting to think about a class that I will teach in Spring 2025. I am just wondering how other community members feel about the ongoing viability of this platform. I know how hard Ashley and all of the Scirra folks work to make this a robust platform. I also know that it must be very expensive to keep this tool afloat, even with the subscription model.

Do people think that this will continue to be a viable solution for my games class through June 2025? It seems like people are still active in the forums. I’m not sure if they are more or less active than they were two years ago.

Tagged:

• Hi.

I've been making games since 2020, all this time Construct3 has been my reliable tool. But I use C3 for commercial development, I didn't teach anyone.

• As I mentioned in this recent forum post, of commercial tools, having a subscription model actually makes it more likely we can keep going indefinitely - not less. I would say other commercial tools are actually a riskier long-term proposition if they don't have a sustainable business model.

FWIW we've been going since 2011, Construct 3 came out in 2017, and we're still going strong. We're not going anywhere!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Glad to hear this, Ashley! Looking forward to bringing my small cohort of students back into the world of Construct next semester! :)

• As you know Construct is great for teaching the basics of coding in a low code environment. Boolean logic, loops, arrays, etc. I've worked with a number of IDE's from Delphi to Unity. For rapidly developing an app, even with 40+ years of writing code, I keep coming back to Construct to do what I need.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)