[Plugin] Photon Cloud

From the Asset Store
Basic Plugins for Firebase Authentication, Realtime-Database, Firestore, Cloud Storage
  • I have a simple drag & drop game where I use photon to update the position of an item after drop. There are only 10 items in the layout and 2 players, however the connection always gets lost after being in the layout after some time. Is this the concession we have to make when using photon? In other words, is this something we have to live with? I can't imagine that being the case for 100$ a month.

Another problem I got is when a room is made, other players have to join quickly, because after 1 or 2 minutes or so it becomes impossible to join the room.

It would be great if you (thephotons) could help with these 2 issues. Thanks in advance!

• rk123 Sounds like dodgy internet to me as I have never had this issue, mine stays connected for hours, may be able to help

• PabloDev

So will any connection attempt fail or will the plugin just keep looking for a game until another player leaves?

That is, what should I show on the screen if this occurs?

A - Should I not show anything and just continue with the message "looking for a game"? -> the plugin will keep looking for a game.

B - Should I display a "server is full, please try again later" message? -> the plugin is automatically disconnected when the limit has been exceeded.

The plugin does not retry to connect automatically. It only calls error callback. Of course you can implement automatic reconnection in the error handler.

Since you can't distinguish "server full" from other errors, it does not make sense to notify user about that. More generic message like in A) may be more appropriate.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • rk123

I have a simple drag & drop game where I use photon to update the position of an item after drop. There are only 10 items in the layout and 2 players, however the connection always gets lost after being in the layout after some time. Is this the concession we have to make when using photon? In other words, is this something we have to live with? I can't imagine that being the case for 100$ a month.

Another problem I got is when a room is made, other players have to join quickly, because after 1 or 2 minutes or so it becomes impossible to join the room.

Do demos from the plugin package loose connection and can't join after 2 min. just like your app?

What's in client logs? Maybe you send too much and the connection bandwidth is not enough?

What error do you get when client fails to join the room? A room is automatically destroyed when last players leaves it.

• Hello ,

Any ideas/tutorials how to create for each user a different character?

• PabloDev

> So will any connection attempt fail or will the plugin just keep looking for a game until another player leaves?

>

> That is, what should I show on the screen if this occurs?

>

> A - Should I not show anything and just continue with the message "looking for a game"? -> the plugin will keep looking for a game.

>

> B - Should I display a "server is full, please try again later" message? -> the plugin is automatically disconnected when the limit has been exceeded.

The plugin does not retry to connect automatically. It only calls error callback. Of course you can implement automatic reconnection in the error handler.

Since you can't distinguish "server full" from other errors, it does not make sense to notify user about that. More generic message like in A) may be more appropriate.

Is this event valid to catch the error?

• PabloDev

No. Use Photon 'On Error' event instead.

'On disconnect' and 'On state change' events also may be useful sometimes.

• PabloDev

No. Use Photon 'On Error' event instead.

'On disconnect' and 'On state change' events also may be useful sometimes.

Thanks for the help.

I think this cannot be tested because it would need 10 connections to cause the error, and I only have 2 PCs.

• PabloDev I may have missed something, so this may be a silly answer... by 10 connections do u mean 10 players? So you can just use 10 browser windows not 10 PCs?

• PabloDev I may have missed something, so this may be a silly answer... by 10 connections do u mean 10 players? So you can just use 10 browser windows not 10 PCs?

Yes, I mean 10 instances of the game running.

The free version of photon supports up to 10 connections.

My game is 1 vs 1.

So, I think to cause this error I will need to run 11 windows.

• PabloDev Yup. I just did a quick test and got 13 connections to one room, with free version.... Quite exciting really, might have to post a link soon!

• I can't do that test, it's crazy in my case.

If there is no other way to prove this error is handled well, then ... I don't know what I will do.

• PabloDev Yup. I just did a quick test and got 13 connections to one room, with free version.... Quite exciting really, might have to post a link soon!

Could you tell me how do you capture this situation where the server is full?

What does the photon plugin indicate in that case?

How is it different from an error with the connection or with the router, for example?

• PabloDev I havent managed to get an error yet, I will have to find out what the limit is and try and open loads of windows. But like ThePhotons said I would just do 'Photon > on error' > Display generic error message (Server full, please try again later)

• PabloDev I havent managed to get an error yet, I will have to find out what the limit is and try and open loads of windows. But like ThePhotons said I would just do 'Photon > on error' > Display generic error message (Server full, please try again later)

Ok, thanks for the help.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)